JnB Birds - Help
JAVA Scripts are used for various functions in the WEB pages. Please allow them to run on your browser.
On the main page identified by JnB-Birds at the top:
- Left click a bird catagory to see our photos of the selected type of birds.
- In the sections under Birding Adventures near the bottom of the page, left click the FLAG or PICTURE to read a description and view the itinerary of a birding trip we took.
- Left click the words to the right or below the FLAGs/PICTUREs to see our photos of the birds and scenery from the trip.
- Index to Birds is an alphabetical listing of the bird species by common name on the web site. Selecting a bird name will show a photo of the bird.
Selecting a bird type name (i.e. Finch) will show you a montage of the birds under that bird type.
- The Help us ID birds are photos of birds that we were not able to identify. If you can identify the bird in the photo, please let us know by using the Contact Us button.
- Left click New Photos to see what has been recently added.
- Left click Slide Show to see a slide show of all our bird photos.
- Left click Contact Us to send us an eMail.
- Information on the cameras I've used is available by left clicking one of the pictures at the top of the page..
On a catagory page identified by the thumbnail pictures on the left side:
- Each section contains thumbnail pictures on the left hand side of the page of that section's bird photos.
Left clicking on the thumbnail will show a larger photo to the right.
Above the thumbnail pictures is a little icon of a slide screen .
Left clicking the icon will start a slide show of that catagory's photos.
- Left clicking Picture Information will give you a brief description of where the picture was taken and the EXIF (EXchangeable Image File) information for the photo.
- If a picture displays "(Click picture to see more bird photos.)" to the right of the bird name, left clicking on the bird picture will cause either:
- A new screen showing additional thumbnails of the referenced bird, or
- A new screen showing a MONTAGE of additional pictures of the referenced bird. Each group of pictures in the montage were taken at the same location and/or time.
The Montage Information describes the conditions when the pictures were taken. Left clicking on a picture in the montage will cause a larger version of the picture to appear.
The picture information for the photos in the montage only contains the EXIF information for that photo.
On the Index to Birds Page
The Find a bird on this page button is basically an internet browser "find on this page" function.
Because of the way the bird names are arranged, i.e. bird type name and then the specific birds underneath,
it is best to enter the bird type name or the specific common name of the bird type, but not both.
The specific common name may be repeated under several bird types. Use the "Find Next" button to find the one you want.
For example, if you want to find a Clay-colored Robin, type in either robin or clay-colored.
If you type in clay-colored robin, you will get a Not Found result.
If you used the Find Prev button and it does not seem to work, then you have found the first occurance of the item.
The icon to the right of the bird's common name indicates that there is a sound file of the bird's call. Left clicking the icon will play the call. .